Fall/Winter 2022 Trend Watch
Gen Z and Millennial Shopping Habits Reveal Fall/Winter Fashion, Beauty and Lifestyle Trends
Afterpay may receive a portion of revenue if you click a link and purchase a product or service. The links are independently placed and do not influence editorial content.
Afterpay’s bi-annual trend report is here, identifying the key fall/winter trends of the season. By analyzing Gen Z and Millennial purchasing behaviors in the US and Canada, the trend report sheds light on the macrotrends being shaped by the younger generations shopping Afterpay’s global catalog of more than 144,000 brands and retailers¹.
Fall/Winter Trends 2022
Grunge is back this fall with American and Canadian shoppers incorporating 90s inspiration into their wardrobes and beauty routines. Plaid and leather apparel were added to shopping carts in the fashion category, and the return of the “slept-in-your-makeup” look has solidified grunge as a fall favorite.
- All Leather Everything: Consumers are clamoring to add leather into their wardrobes – with sales of leather jackets, pants, shirts and more, up 27% YoY in the US and 295% YoY in Canada. The Revolve Mercy Cropped Jacket is an investment piece that adds a rocker chic layer to any 90s grunge look this fall.
- Thanks to Courtney Love: Shoppers are moving away from the perfection of the “clean girl aesthetic” and embracing the grungy, unbothered look once popularized by 90s rocker Courtney Love. In the US, there’s a focus on smudged eyeliner such as Bobbi Brown’s long-wear cream shadow sticks, up 57% YoY, and chrome eyeshadow, up 491% YoY.
Uncertainty in the macroeconomic climate continues to hold influence on both designers and consumers as they move away from Serotonin Dressing into a more subdued form of optimism through metallics, which is giving rise to more futuristic dressing.
- Golden Hour: Sales for metallic apparel and accessories were up 19% YoY in the US and 184% YoY in Canada. While gold remains the popular choice across both regions, silver items, such as UGG’s Classic Mini Metallic Boots and Urban Outfitters’ Gia Metal Halter Top, are on the rise.
- The Future of Fashion: Just like designers, consumers want in on the latest fashion tech trends. According to Afterpay Brand Ambassador, Zanna Roberts-Rassi, “As more leading designers play into the world of NFTs, consumers are trying to keep up by incorporating vinyl fabrics, with Afterpay sales already up 42% YoY. Perfect for holiday season dressing!”
Haircare Gets Its Own Routine
As the seasons transition, many beauty-conscious shoppers are either changing up their hair styles or investing in haircare products – especially for those experiencing hair loss. Afterpay Fashion Psychology, Shakaila Forbes-Bell, says, “According to Psychologist Harth W Blume-Peytavi, hair growth and hair disorders not only influence an individual’s appearance, but often lead to an enormous emotional burden with low self-confidence, impaired quality of life, and even psychological disorders. As such, consumers are investing in their hair to avoid these issues and further embrace wellness.”
- Luxe Locks: Self care starting from the scalp has become a necessary part of wellness routines. Hydrating hair products, including Olaplex’s No.8 Bond Intense Moisture Mask and OUAI Fine to Medium Hair Treatment Mask – are up 108% in the US and 276% YoY in Canada.
- Revenge Hair: Refined Y2K hair accessories such as butterfly clips are up 39% and 78% YoY, in the US and Canada, respectively. Pacsun’s LA Hearts Butterfly Hair Clips are a simple way for consumers to back this trend.
The trend report analyzes purchases made by our global customer base of over 20 million, who shop from Afterpay’s catalog of over 144,000 brands and retailers to identify the season’s key trends and shopping patterns.² Since 2020, BNPL spending has increased 660%² as consumers adopt flexible payment solutions to help manage their purchases.
Afterpay gives consumers the ability to use their own money and pay over time without having to turn to expensive credit cards, which can lead to revolving and compounding debt. Built from the ground up to help consumers pay responsibly, more than 98% of Afterpay transactions never incur a late fee and more than 90% of Afterpay transactions are paid with a debit card.
For all the Gen Z and Millennial fashion, beauty and lifestyle shopping trends uncovered by Afterpay, click below to download the full report.
For inquiries into Afterpay’s business and consumer data, please email email@example.com.
Data analyzed is based on Afterpay Canada and US sales from July 2, 2022 – September 25, 2022
¹Figures as of March 31, 2022
²Source: Next Gen Index