The 2022 Afterpay and Clearpay Spring Summer Trend Report
Afterpay and Clearpay insights reveal the wedding season must-haves, the new workwear look and more global trends shaped by Gen Z and Millennials.
Afterpay, also known as Clearpay in the UK and Europe, bi-annual trend report is here, identifying the key spring and summer trends of 2022 in fashion, beauty and lifestyle. By analyzing Gen Z and Millennial purchasing behaviors in the US, UK and Canada, the trend report sheds light on the macrotrends being shaped by younger generations, who turn to the Afterpay and Clearpay Shopping App for all their lifestyle needs. Gen Z spending is up 925% since January 2020 as this generation simultaneously uses BNPL as a budgeting tool while staying on top of the latest trends.
Based on Afterpay’s global catalog of more than 122,000 brands and retailers, highlighted below are the top three spring and summer macro trends Gen Z and Millennial consumers use BNPL for. The younger generation of shoppers are funding their purchases with their debit cards, which allows them to budget and control their own money.
An evolution of the Dopamine Dressing trend, Serotonin Dressing is making headway with consumers who seek clothing options that boost their confidence – opting for statement-making and unconventional prints.
- Heart on their sleeves: In the UK, heart printed items are the most popular pattern among Gen Z and Millennial Clearpayers.
- Fresh Fresas: While on the other side of the pond, Canadians enjoy strawberry prints more, with sales up +95% year-over-year.
According to Shakaila Forbes-Bell, Afterpay’s in-house Fashion Psychologist, “While dopamine dressing has remained a fun way to incorporate color into your wardrobe, a global survey investigating the mood-altering effects of clothing revealed that clothes don’t simply make people feel good. 42% of respondents believed that certain outfit choices made them feel more relaxed and thus more confident. When we wear these types of outfits, they foster the release of Gamma Aminobutyric Acid or ‘GABA’ neurotransmitters in the brain that produce a calming and relaxing effect on the body.”
Shoppers Say ‘I Do’ to Wedding Season
After two-years of postponed events, wedding season is back in full force. Guests are preparing and budgeting for the busy season spanning April to October by Afterpaying their occasionwear attire.
- If the shoe fits: Heels are making a comeback as quarterly sales for these products are up +18% in the US and +67% in CA.
- Say yes to the dress: Wedding guests will also be seen in various midi length dresses from figure-hugging silhouettes to cutouts. UK shoppers have quickly jumped on the style with Clearpay sales soaring 178% year-over-year.
The New Business Casual
With return to office (RTO) and companies announcing shifts to a hybrid or four-day work week, Gen Z entering the workforce are redefining workwear in a post virtual world. They are bridging the comforts of loungewear popular at the start of the pandemic, with more gender-neutral, oversized silhouettes to achieve today’s RTO attire.
- RTO Uniform: Picture neutral sneakers paired with wide leg fits such as matching plisse sets – with US sales already up +14% year-over-year.
- Blurred lines: Clothing items described as ‘unisex’ were up +154% year-over-year in the US – indicating demand for more gender fluid clothing as we head into spring and summer.
The trend report analyzes purchases made by our global customer base of over 19 million, who shop from our catalog of over 122,000 brands and retailers to identify the season’s key trends and shopping patterns.
For all the Gen Z and Millennial fashion, beauty and lifestyle shopping trends uncovered by Afterpay and Clearpay, download any of the versions for the full report.
Afterpay 2022 Spring Summer Trend Report
Clearpay 2022 Spring Summer Trend Report
For inquiries into Afterpay’s business and consumer data, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For inquiries related to Clearpay, please email email@example.com.
Data analyzed is based on Afterpay North America and Clearpay UK sales from Jan 1, 2021 – April 11, 2022
Afterpay is currently available in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the United States and the United Kingdom, France, Italy and Spain, where it is known as Clearpay.