Afterpay’s Spring/Summer Trend Watch
Afterpay insights reveal the festival fashion craze, what the “It girls” are wearing, and more trends shaped by Gen Zs and Millennials
Afterpay’s bi-annual trend report is here, identifying the key spring/summer trends of the season. By analyzing Gen Z and Millennial purchasing behaviors in the US, the trend report sheds light on the macrotrends being shaped by the younger generations shopping Afterpay’s global catalog of thousands of brands and retailers.
We’ve also looked into the why behind the what – not just what customers are purchasing, to better understand why shoppers are making these purchases and what this means for the season (and seasons) ahead.
Spring/Summer Trends 2023
With spring in the air, and festival season right around the corner, shoppers are incorporating more boho elements. Shoppers took inspiration from 70s rock and roll (think Daisy Jones & The Six), adding florals and maxi skirts to their carts, and brightened up their hair color as “cowgirl copper” has solidified as a favorite beauty trend for spring.
- Summer of Love: Consumers are clamoring to add 70s inspired pieces to their wardrobes, with sales of bell bottoms and feathers up 53% and 28% YoY on Afterpay. The Free People For Love & Lemons Kamara Mini Dress is an investment piece that’s sure to make a statement this spring.
- Calling all redheads: Shoppers are changing up their tresses in a big way this spring, with sales for shades of copper up, including auburn at 61% YoY. Afterpay fashion psychologist Shakaila Forbes-Bell says, “Historical research has identified optimal distinctiveness theory, which speaks to the fact that we have competing desires to both standout and fit in at the same time. With the copper hair trend, consumers are able to satisfy both of these desires at once, as the shade is unique without being too bold.”
As the seasons change, many shoppers are changing over their wardrobes and investing in new looks. As celebs like Bella Hadid and Emily Ratajkowski’s street style becomes the basis for more Pinterest boards heading into summer, consumers are searching for their version of the “It girl look” that best suits their personal style. And as Y2K continues to be a trend across fashion and beauty, shoppers are also adding Y2K accessories including butterfly clips, low rise denim, and slingbacks.
- From style to street: Taking inspiration from Instagram feeds everywhere, sales for biker styles such as jackets and boots and cargos were up 14% QoQ and 15% YoY. Pairing the Shopbop Veronica Beard Jlyan Moto Jacket and Pacsun Medium Blue 90s Baggy Cargo Jeans together is sure to make a statement going into spring and summer.
- Bringing back the early aughts: Just like designers, consumers want in on the latest accessories trends. According to Afterpay Brand Ambassador Zanna Roberts-Rassi, big bags are back: “As the fashion pendulum swings from micro to maxi, we’re seeing the return of oversized bags, +162% YoY on Afterpay. Finally, you can fit more than a phone and a lip gloss! But, just because it’s big, doesn’t mean you should fill it to the brim. It should look relaxed, not stuffed!”
Making a house a home
As the seasons transition, many interior-design focused shoppers are either changing up or investing in their spaces. In an effort to bring self-care into the home, shoppers are purchasing cozy lighting and lush succulents to create a peaceful and welcoming space.
- Cozy lighting: Gone are the harsh overhead lights of the past – shoppers are investing in ambient lighting, up +38% this season, along with soft lighting growing over 181% YOY. The Pier1 Traditional White Set of 10 Plastic Luminaria Lanterns and The Container Store Kikkerland Disco String Lights are a simple way for consumers to back this trend.
- Biophilic design: Spaces filled with greenery are trending up as shoppers look to turn their homes into grounded, peaceful spaces. Afterpay fashion psychologist Shakaila Forbes-Bell says, “Biophilic design creates cognitive comfort, relationship among the natural and the built up. There is a theory called attention restoration which rationalizes the performance benefits from exposure to fascination; especially in environments that don’t demand a lot of your attention. We find that natural environments benefit this behavior more than urban ones.”.
The trend report analyzes purchases made by our US customer base who shop from Afterpay’s catalog of thousands of brands and retailers to identify the season’s key trends and shopping patterns. Since 2020, BNPL spending has increased 660% as consumers adopt flexible payment solutions to help manage their purchases.
Afterpay gives consumers the ability to use their own money and pay over time without having to turn to expensive credit cards, which can lead to revolving and compounding debt. Built from the ground up to help consumers pay responsibly, more than 98% of Afterpay transactions never incur a late fee and more than 90% of Afterpay transactions are paid with a debit card.
For all the Gen Z and Millennial fashion, beauty and lifestyle shopping trends uncovered by Afterpay, click below to download the full report.
Afterpay 2023 Spring/Summer Trend Report Here
For inquiries into Afterpay’s business and consumer data, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Data analyzed is based on Afterpay US sales from January 30th, 2023 – February 19, 2023